Sunday, October 7, 2007

Animal Companion Kidnapping

Margaret Loris RN MS
www.sunhealer.com

Did I say kidnapping? Yes. Animal companions are children to many of us. And when they are stolen from us, the pain and heartbreak we incur is equal to the kidnapping of an infant or child.

Let me explain by telling you my story and what I did to recover my beloved miniature dachshund, Fritzl. These are some important facts to know and share.

After a sudden and traumatic hospitalization, my father passed January 9th, 2005. His burial was on January 11th. My grief and shock of his transition was profound. I was so happy to have my Fritzl to comfort me during my grief. He is my best friend.

Two days after my father’s funeral, I came home from swimming to find that someone had broken in my home and had stolen Fritzl. I can’t begin to describe my extreme heartache, suffering, and anger. Who could do this to me at this time in my life? Why now? Why me?
It was a bitter cold day in Chicago and the dognapper took Fritzl’s bomber jacket, dry food and some money. I had suspicion as to who would be so cruel to do this.

I called the police to report the crime. Unfortunately, pet theft is considered the same as stealing a lawn mower to the Chicago police. And unless I saw the break in and theft, they could do nothing.

In my grief, fear and worry, I quickly ran to my computer and began typing a missing pet flyer. How can I begin to describe how much Fritzl means to me? How can I allure someone to tell me where he is and get him back. This is what I learned.

During our walks in the neighborhood, I would always see notices hung looking for or finding lost pets. I could read the panic in the owner’s words and would quickly send a prayer to them. Very few of the signs could hold my consideration. I decided I would construct my flyer to attract more attention to my painful loss.

How can I get people interested and active? What word would grab a person long enough to stop, read, and remember to help Fritzl and me?

“REWARD!”

Next I thought how much would I pay to get Fritzl home? How can you place a dollar amount on the one you love? What would I sacrifice to have him returned to me quickly. I feared that the longer he was gone, the less chance I had of getting him back. After giving it great thought, I decided I would begin with offering $1000.00 for Fritzl’s return or the information that leads to his return. It was worth it to me.

Searching for a picture of Fritzl, I selected one that showed his sweetness, gentleness, harmlessness, and how much I loved him. Oh, how I wanted him back!
I wrote his description, weight, hair color, and breed and included my contact information.

I printed 100 color copies to be sure to attract enormous attention and set out to post them.

I placed one on every store window, all the parking signs, every pole and tree I saw. The weather was so bitter cold I could barely get the tape to stick to the metal posts. It was below freezing outside.

I ran to my neighborhood pet store and gave the owner copies to distribute too. Everyone I knew was placed on Amber alert for poor Fritzl.

As I returned home, I noticed that the flyers that I had just hung by a huge apartment building were ripped off near the park where I walk Fritzl. My intuition told me I was on the right track and someone who had Fritzl lived nearby.

I ran home, grabbed a pen and some envelopes so I could mail everyone that lived in the building a reward flyer. Perhaps someone could inform me to where he was.

It was quickly growing dark, and with a new pile of posters in my cold hands, I returned to replace the torn down posters. As I turned the corner I saw a woman closing her building door. I watched her bend down- and there was FRITZL!!!

My heart began beating so rapidly I could hear it pound in my throat. I wanted to be silent so the woman wouldn’t run back into her building and lock me out. She began taking Fritzl for a walk and I started moving faster to catch up with her.

Fritzl stopped to raise his leg, then turned his head, saw me, and ran towards me. I quickly picked him up and held on tight. The thief began fighting with me, punching me, stepping on my toes, and grabbing my coat. I pulled off my coat so she could have it as I held onto Fritzl and ran off. Another woman who witnessed the scene began screaming at her, picked up my coat and returned it to me. She then called 911.

To make a long story short, I was so exhausted from my father’s illness, death, then Fritzl’s kidnapping, that I didn’t return to remove the posters for several days. I spent the time basking in Fritzl love and spending all my time with him. And I feared that if I left him alone, he would be gone when I returned.

When I did summon enough courage to begin venturing outside, people from all over the neighborhood asked me about Fritzl. They said they read my beautiful flyers and were sending me their best wishes, praying for me, and that they began consciously walking around the neighborhood looking for him. This lasted for weeks.

Their feedback on my posters told me this. People pay attention and take notice when a huge reward is offered for a missing pet. My reward of $1,000.00 was most eye catching. and printing with colored ink meant I was serious. My love for Fritzl was felt in my posters and instilled in them a love for him also. They heard and answered my cry for help.

Please, if this tragedy ever happens to you or someone you know, get your neighbors involved by exciting their emotions. Visually and financially display your love for your pet companion and how much they mean to you. This works!!

REWARD!
$1,000.00

For the return or information leading to the return of Fritzl Loris

Last seen Lincoln and Wilson Avenues.

Male miniature dachshund
Color reddish brown
Weight 15 pounds

Contact Margaret Loris 773-275-1810

No comments: