Monday, April 30, 2007

Posthumous Honor Sought For Anne Frank: U.S. Citizenship

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
A copy of a letter written by Otto Frank dated April 30, 1941,
referring to his daughters and pleading for help emigrating to the United States.

Anne Frank is known worldwide through the diary she kept for two years while hiding from the Nazis during World War II. Her "Diary Of A Young Girl" is one of my favorite books. Her words were so personal I felt like she was my pen pal. That I actually knew her personally.

I was emotional when I first toured through her Amsterdam hideaway and saw how small her living space was. Movie star pictures still remain on her bedroom wall.

Anne's short life and her love have impacted millions around the world for over 50 years.

Sadly, when Anne Frank died in a German concentration camp she was a person without a country.

Now, 62 years later, a U.S. senator is trying to give her a place to call home.

Rep. Steve Israel (D-N.Y.) has introduced a bill in the House to give Anne honorary U.S. citizenship.

I would love to have Anne as my countryman. Especially from above.

Posthumous honor sought for Anne Frank: U.S. citizenship | Chicago Tribune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1FdVTA8dvw

No comments: