Saturday, April 11, 2009

Dr. Cathy Tucker Unsung Hero



I understand everyone needs to earn a living. Yet I always questioned why pet health care costs as much or even more than human health care.

For example, a teeth cleaning for me costs $140.00. And when I take Fritzl in for his cleaning it costs $500.00 or more, depending on what they do.

Albeit, Fritzl would need to have general anesthesia, perhaps a little ketamine. He's a miniature dachshund that weighs about 14 pounds so he probably doesn't need much. They would put him on a heart monitor. So we would have to pay for the EKG leads, pulse oximeter, and rental of equipment. Then my vet also wants Fritzl to have liver studies and a bleeding time done. OR room rental, technician services, and vet payment. If it was simply a teeth cleaning it would cost one price. But as soon as one of Fritzl's teeth had to be pulled, that costs an additional $100 per tooth (Fritzl's teeth are very small). And add on the price of antibiotics, pain killers, plus a follow up post op visit. Fritzl's first dental care cost close to $700.00.

Am I the only one that sees something wrong with this picture?

Who would ever think that a vet went to school so they could become billionaires from over charging for their services? And my same thoughts are extended to the medical "profession".

I truly hope that as the medical system goes through its reconstruction, it also spreads to the veterinarian world as well.

There is an overpopulation of animals and I feel it is a social obligation to rescue and take care of them.

Yet, because of the prohibitive costs, having a pet nowadays is a luxury most people can no longer afford. The new name for throw away abandoned pets is now a "foreclosure" pet.

The comfort, love, and healing an animal companion provides is the best medicine one can give to someone who is suffering from financial crisis, or any crisis. And I can safely bet that one household pet can save a family thousands of dollars in medical costs just by the love they emit.

I think we really need to reexamine our priorities and beliefs with regard to the costs of health care to all.


No comments: